Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
New South Wales
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Weather Warning
for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in parts of Snowy Mountains Forecast District.
Issued at 4:45 pm Friday, 12 January 2018.
VIGOROUS WINDS FOR ALPINE PEAKS TONIGHT
West to northwesterly winds increasing ahead of a cold front, which will cross southeast New South Wales early Saturday morning.
DAMAGING WINDS averaging over 80 km/h, with peak gusts exceeding 100 km/h, are likely for Alpine areas above 1800 metres later tonight and early Saturday morning.
Locations which may be affected include Perisher Valley, Charlotte Pass and Thredbo.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 11:00 pm AEDT Friday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.